Scottish Mondeo Forum

Welcome to The Scottish Mondeo Forum. Please
Login Here

Login

In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased capabilities.

Username:
Password:

or Register Here

Board index Technical Area Steering, Wheels and Tyres Alloy wheel air leak

Alloy wheel air leak

Assistance and Advice on Steering, Wheels and Tyres.

Post Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:57 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

Drives: 2002 2.5 V6 Zetec S

Came out of the shops today and noticed the front passenger tyre was a bit flat. tried with no avail to get it pumped up. had to fire on the space saver and nip down to the garage to get it looked at.

Turns out the wheel is slightly corroded on the inside of the rim and is letting the air escape. Been told to get it acid dipped to seel the leak. is this the right call or is there something else I could do.

bit peaved to be honest was told when I bought the car two months ago by the dealer that the rims would be refurbed before I bought it, turns out they only did the face of the rim. not a happy chappy!!!!

Alloy wheel air leak

Sponsor

Advertisements are shown only to guests. Login to hide advertising.
Sponsor

Post Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:02 pm

allyp SMF Veteran

Drives: 06 vectra vxr

think you should be able to rub off any chaff ,the tyre places normally give them a rub and clean up before refitting the tyres depends how bad it is,someone else might elaborate

Post Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:13 pm

Alan User avatar
SMF Staff
SMF Staff

Drives: 2011 Insignia Vx-Line

Agree with Ally a simple rub down should give it enough key to hold the tyre seal. If its really fooked you could use a sealing bead.

Post Mon 08 Feb, 2010 5:03 pm

Fiddy User avatar
SMF Veteran

Drives: 2000 ST24

The MK3 wheels are shocking, ford want shooting. my MK3 V6 ZS was the same, i was pumping the tyres up two or three times a week.

ST24 Saloon

Modding Mondeo's Since 1997, Now On Number 5

Post Mon 08 Feb, 2010 7:10 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

getting the wheel sorted in the next day or two but it has got me thinking about maybe getting some new rims (thinking of BK racing 299's in anthricite).
What kind of price do you think I would get for the Zetec S rims once there sorted was hoping in the region of around 350ish to 400

Post Mon 08 Feb, 2010 7:24 pm

allyp SMF Veteran

Drives: 06 vectra vxr

i got 310 for mine with tyres on m8 they were diamond cut good condition and decent tyres

Post Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:37 pm

Fiddy User avatar
SMF Veteran

Yeah id say about £300 in good nick with decent tyres. there are refirbished 220 wheels with decent tyres starting from £400 and they always hold more value than the ZS 18'S or RS 10 spokes for the MK3.

ST24 Saloon

Post Tue 09 Feb, 2010 12:08 am

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

hmm will need to give it some thought. like the ZS rims but wouldn't mind something different. will need to sneak it by the missus first mind lol :bleh:

Post Tue 09 Feb, 2010 12:48 pm

pault User avatar
SMF Poacher

Drives: 2002 zetec s

i had the same problem on my zetec s alloys , took it too a place near me cost me £30 to take tyre off, give the rim a dam good clean, and a part worn tyre back on, and its never leaked since,
there was times it would be good for months, then other times cud be driving and loose all air from the tyre, so i am pleased with the job he done for me,

well done S.E.M. IN SUNDERLAND

Post Tue 09 Feb, 2010 1:27 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

It did happen pretty suddenly I must admit. Getting it refurbed at the minute as It had a few marks on it so might as well kill two birds.... thanks for the advice guys. still itching to buy some new wheels though, but will have to wait and see what funds are avaiable in the coming months.

Post Tue 09 Feb, 2010 1:31 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

slightly unrelated but, PaulT was looking at your sig and was wondering what kind of exhaust you have fitted to your ZS. mines is the same colour and was looking into getting one made/fitted

Post Tue 09 Feb, 2010 2:04 pm

Fiddy User avatar
SMF Veteran

His exhaust is a custom made exhaust as no main manufacturers make one for the MK3 V6 ZS

ST24 Saloon

Post Wed 10 Feb, 2010 2:25 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

Fiddy wrote:
His exhaust is a custom made exhaust as no main manufacturers make one for the MK3 V6 ZS

Yeah i've discovered this had some quotes from various places (think i'm gona go with simon's exhausts in east kilbride heard good things) to get a cat back one made, looking at about 300 for a single exit and 350 for a dual. not sure what to go for, i think a single exit twin pipe would look good yet understated.

Post Wed 10 Feb, 2010 3:03 pm

Fiddy User avatar
SMF Veteran

I almost bought one from powerflow when i had my MK3 V6 ZS, they wanted £325 for a single exit, £400 for twin. the only thing with the ZS rear bumper is lack of a cut for the exhaust/s. if i was going down that route again, i think id get a 220 rear bumper as they have the cut for the exhausts, and go for twin back box stainless system, then it looks factory. you could always get your bumper cut and go with a single back box, well, thats if your bothered about the lack of a cut in the bumper, i am a bit OCD, everything has to look perfect :bag:

ST24 Saloon

Post Thu 11 Feb, 2010 8:48 pm

JayR_V6 User avatar
SMF Novice

got the wheel back tonight looks brand new couldn't recommend new life tyres highly enough, based in edinburgh near fort kinnard :)

Next

Return to Steering, Wheels and Tyres

Advertisement

Time : 0.418s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off | cron on
pisture

ScottishMondeoForum.com